A dream becomes a legacy
Plant Food Company, Inc. was founded in 1946 by Edward Austin Platz under the name "Brookside Spreading Service."
In 1962, Platz purchased 15 acres in Cranbury, New Jersey for a fluid fertilizer formulation facility. Here he developed fluid fertilizers such as Hi-Gro-Nite, Liq-Nu-Lizer, C.S.L.s and our GREEN-T® formulations. He also patented several machines for fluid fertilizer applications such as a Deep-Root injection, Fertigation injection, and the Jug-App walk behind application unit.
May 7th, 1977 Edward A. Platz passed away due to a sudden heart attack. The Platz family agreed to maintain ownership of the business. On March 13, 1981 the company was incorporated under the name Plant Food Chemical Company.
In the early 1980s, Plant Food Company formulated Blu-Gro®, a liquid fertilizer that continues to be one of its most popular starter solutions. It also developed a new line of natural organic products and officially adopted the name Plant Food Company, Inc.
Over the years, Plant Food Company introduced dozens more plant and soil fertility products to meet the needs of its growing audience. Today, it continues to provide golf course managers, commercial vegetable farmers, professional lawn care companies and other customers with quality liquid fertilizers.